Surfrider Maui joins with other community groups, Ohana,and visitors in doing regularly scheduled beach clean ups throughout the year. In 2012 we did 12 such clean-ups. We collect all plastic and other garbage from a large stretch of beach and dispose of it at the County landfill. Maui Coffee Roasters has donated re-usable burlap sacks to collect the garbage in, so no new plastic bags are used. It is important to remove the garbage, especially the plastics, as they are poisonous to sea life when ingested, often entangle the animals, and remain in the ocean forever.
If you are interested in participating in a Beach Clean-up, want to report a net on the beach, or would like to find out more, contact Volunteer Coordinator Andrew O’Riordan at 808-895-6339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Beach Cleanup sites:
- Poolenalena Beach - Mar. 16th, 2013
- Kahului harbor – Apr. 20th, 2013
- Sugar Beach – May 18th, 2013
- Launiupoko Beach Park – June 15th, 2013
- Keawekapu Beach – July 20th, 2013
- Kanaha Beach Park – August 17th, 2013
- Kamehameha Iki Park – September 21st, 2013
- Baldwin Beach Park – October 19th, 2013
- Big Beach Makena – November 16th, 2013
- DT Flemings Beach – December 21st, 2013