This is why we do net patrol!
The Surfrider Foundation is a nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s oceans, waves and beaches for all people through conservation, activism, research and education.
Nets and ropes come primarily from the commercial fishing industry, drifting for thousands of miles across the ocean and winding up on Hawaiian shore. Whales, turtles, monk seals, birds and fish get entangled in these nets and could die. If they are washed back out to sea, they can continue to harm wildlife.
Recent Net Patrol posts:
- Beach Cleanup / Net Patrol – Jan. 19, 2013, South Lydgate - 01-14-2013
- Make A Difference Day, Surfrider style! October 27, 2012 - 10-30-2012
- Special Net Patrol, north end of Wailua Beach – October 27, 2012 - 10-11-2012
- Restore Kaua‘i and Surfrider cooperate on marine net recycling - 09-04-2012
- Net Patrol – August 18, 2012 – DATE UPDATED - 07-23-2012