Surfrider Maui Chapter is looking for volunteers island wide to join the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program!
Plastic pollution is suffocating our ocean and the many animals that call it home. Researchers estimate there are now over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the ocean with the number continuing to grow every day. This pollution is impacting our marine ecosystems, wildlife such as seabirds, dolphins, fish, and turtles, and plastic fragments are even displacing plankton at the base of the food chain. So what’s the best way to combat this global epidemic facing our ocean? It’s simple: we need to stop the problem at its source! The Surfrider Foundation’s Ocean Friendly Restaurants program does just that. One restaurant, one customer at a time, increases awareness, drives change in behavior and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce our plastic (and water!) footprint.
We welcome any and all those interested in being part of our fun team of volunteers as we work with restaurants on Maui to eliminate plastic waste. Please email our Ocean Friendly Restaurant Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dine at an Ocean Friendly Restaurant on Maui
What Makes a Restaurant “Ocean Friendly?”
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean.
Mandatory Criteria (All 7 Required):
• Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
• Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
• No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
• No plastic bags are used for takeout or to-go orders.
• Single-use utensils, straws, condiments, and other accessory items are provided only upon request for takeout and to-go orders.
• Beverages are not sold in plastic bottles.
• Proper recycling practices are followed.
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for naturally occurring materials (e.g. hay, bamboo) and reusables (e.g. metal, glass), not including bio-based plastic. Straws should be provided to anyone who needs one, including people with disabilities.
Optional Criteria (Choose At Least 3):
• A discount is offered for customers with a reusable item (e.g. cup, container, bag).
• Vegetarian and vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
• All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or certified as sustainable.
• Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.*
• Energy efficiency efforts are in place.**
• Concessions and pre-packaged food items are not sold in plastic packaging.
• Composting efforts are in place for food waste.
• Neither single-use plastic nor bio-based plastic containers are used for takeout or to-go orders, reusable containers are preferred.
* Examples include installing low-flow faucets and toilets, offering drinking water upon request only, no hosing down outside to reduce urban runoff, proper disposal of FOG, and up-to-date septic or sewage to prevent wastewater pollution.
** Examples include switching to LED lighting, installing solar panels, using Energy Star certified appliances and/or other efforts to use less energy.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
Interested in becoming a Certified Ocean Friendly Restaurant? Click here to sign up.
Email email@example.com with any questions!