Save Beach Access at Keawakapu
This FRIDAY, January 14, 2021 the Board of Land and Natural Resources will decide the fate of public beach parking at Keawakapu.
The County of Maui is willing to negotiate with the State to acquire this valuable public asset, in the best interest of our community. We must keep public lands in public hands. No developer should be given a long term lease for our beach reserve parking lot, especially when they have demonstrated actions that go against our public beach access laws.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Send an email to email@example.com by Thursday morning.
- Reference Item D-3 and ask the BLNR to set aside the whole portion of the property located at Keawakapu, Kamaole, Maui, Tax Map Key: (2) 3-9-004:001
- Reference Item D-4 and ask the BLNR to DENY a lease to Ruby & Sons and instead enter into agreement with the County of Maui to manage our public beach reserve parking lot.
- In your testimony, share why adequate public parking and beach access – particularly at Keawakapu – is important to you!
- If you want to offer video testimony please email and let the BLNR know you want to testify and they will send a link for the meeting. You have 3 minutes to testify per agenda item.
Surfrider Foundation Maui Chapter volunteers collected data from the parking lots for 45 days. The data clearly shows the high public demand for parking and beach access. On average, 20 of the 51 public parking stalls are used, with stalls typically maxed out on weekends. On the other hand, an average of only 4 stalls of the Days Inn portion of the gravel lot are used.
Under the current situation, half of the parking lot sits empty most of the day while public parking is maxed out or near capacity. Management of the parking area by the County of Maui would better balance public and private interests for beach access, while ensuring that parking is equitable and utilized effectively.
Use our sample testimony to draft your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.