Aloha Surfrider Ohana,
May we have your Intention? Our intention at Surfrider is to protect the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches for the enjoyment of all. Especially during this time of uncertainty. We would like to invite everyone to get creative and show off different ways of upcycling things instead of throwing them into the landfill.
Get creative with your trash and make it into something useful! Submissions created for this contest must be able to be used MULTIPLE times or will last longer than it would have going into the trash. There will be three winners (one for each category).
The contest has been extended through the month of June. The winner will be announced July 1st.
WHAT? The “USE IT BETTER!” contest. While staying safe at home, let’s get creative with our trash and repurpose some of it! There will be three categories and three winners. The three categories are indoor, outdoor and most creative. Prizes include Patagonia gear, Surfrider swag and more! See contest details.
WHO? This contest is for all ages. We encourage individuals, teams (create fun team names), and families to participate and show off some of your creations. For example, turn an old pair of boots into a planter, turn a peanut butter jar into a reusable to go container, turn an old dress into an apron.
WHEN? May 8 – June 30 (winners announced July 1)
WHERE? This is a virtual contest. The hashtag “#UseItBetterHawaii” is recommended but not required.
How To Enter: *All Submissions and questions must be emailed to VolunteerCoordinator@maui.surfrider.org by JUNE 30th and include:
- Name and Location of participant
- Written summary from participant(s) describing how it will be used more than once.
- Answer the question, What does upcycle/repurpose mean to you?
- Include photo or video
*Entering this contest is an agreement to contest terms and conditions provided by the Surfrider Foundation under the contest details. It is also giving consent to all photos being used on Surfrider Foundation’s social media pages.
-Used Inside the house (storage, organization, wall art)
-Used Outside the house (beach, garden)
- Submissions created for this contest must be able to be used MULTIPLE times or will last longer than it would have going into the trash. Submissions will be judged based upon creativity, originality, sustainability and usefulness.
- Find new ways to utilize things you already have and share with us! There will be three winners (one for each category). The contest will go through the month of May and the winners will be announced July 1st.
Details, Terms and Conditions:
This is a skill-based contest. Chance plays no part in the determination of winners. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST BE A LEGAL U.S. RESIDENT, Ages 5+(minor must have parent or guardian approval), VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
ELIGIBILITY. This Surfrider Foundation sponsored “Use it Better”(“Contest”) is open only to residents of Hawaii that meet requirements.
ENTRY. To participate in the Contest, an eligible participant (“Contestant”) must submit upcycle materials that would otherwise be thrown away. Submissions created for this contest must be able to be used MULTIPLE times or will last longer than it would have going into the trash. Find new ways to utilize things you already have. A Contestant will automatically be considered “entered” into the Contest upon submission to Surfrider Foundation Maui Volunteer Coordinator.
LIMITATIONS ON ELIGIBILITY. Paid, full-time employees and others associated with the administration of the Contest, are not permitted to participate in this Contest.
CONTEST PERIOD. The 2020 Use it Better ( “Contest”) is a one-time contest which begins May 8, 2020, 6:00 am PST, and ends on July 1, 2020, 11:59 pm PST (the “Contest Period”).
PRIZES. There will be three winners (one for each category).
- Used Inside the house (storage, organization, wall art)
- Used Outside the house (beach, garden,)
- Most creative
Prizes will include exclusive Surfrider Foundation Maui Chapter swag including T-shirts, tank tops, hats, utensil kits and more special offers to be announced with an approximate total retail value of $400.
Prize awards are final. No substitution of prizes is permitted. The prizes will be awarded “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OF ANY PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Surfrider reserves the right to substitute a prize during the course of the Contest. Surfrider may or may not substitute one of the prizes with an item of comparable value if the prize and/or attendant travel are canceled or unavailable for any reason. In such a case, no cash equivalent or cash substitute will be offered.
SELECTION PROCESS. Eligible entries will be judged based upon creativity, originality, sustainability and usefulness. The executive Maui Chapter board members will vote on all three categories. The Winners will only become official once it is confirmed they have met all stated requirements. In the event of a tie, Surfrider Foundation’s Hawaii Regional Manager will vote and identify the winner. Odds of winning depend on the number of entrants participating in the contest.
WINNER NOTIFICATION. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements of these Official Rules and Surfrider’s decisions as to the administration of the Contest. Winners will be notified on or before July 15, 2020, by email. In the event that an Entrant’s email address changes, it is the Entrant’s responsibility to notify Surfrider of such change. In the event that any prize notification is undeliverable, Surfrider is unable to contact a Winner, or response to prize notification is not received within ten (10) days, the prize may be forfeited. The Winner may be required to certify and complete an affidavit of eligibility and liability and, where legal, publicity release must be delivered to Surfrider within ten (10) days, or an alternate Winner may be selected. Where a prize is forfeited, an alternate winner will be selected.
PUBLICITY/USE OF NAME AND LIKENESS. Except where prohibited by law, your entry in the Contest constitutes your consent for Surfrider to use your name, city and state of residence, likeness, photograph, and image for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes in any media, online or offline, without further permission, consent, payment, or other consideration. Residents in certain states may be subject to further requests for express written consent. In a case of a minor (under the age of 18) parents must sign a release form.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- THE CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
- Participation in the Contest constitutes the participant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. Surfrider reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any participant it finds to be tampering with the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules.
- This Contest does not constitute any contractual relationship between the parties, either express or implied. By participating in the Contest, all Contestants, the Winner, any guests, or users do hereby now and forever release Surfrider Foundation, its affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, vendors, employees, agents, and associates (including, but not limited to,Facebook, Instagram or other advertising and promotional agencies or award suppliers, and their officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns) (“Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, losses, expenses, damages and liabilities arising out of or in any way relating to the participation in this Contest, and/or receipt or possession, use or misuse, of any prize or element thereof.
- The Released Parties are not responsible for late, lost, illegible, incomplete, stolen, misdirected, illegitimate, or impermissible submissions or mail; postage due mail; or any other error whether human, mechanical, or electronic, including any technical malfunctions of the computer on-line system, computer equipment, hardware, or software. Surfrider is not liable for damage to a participant’s computer system in any way due to participation in the Contest or downloading of any information in connection with the Contest, including without limitation any server failure, lost, delayed or corrupted data, or other malfunction.
- Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements of these Official Rules, and Surfrider’s decisions as to the administration of the Contest and prize awards are final. All entrants, Clients, and third parties agree that all decisions of Surfrider will be binding, final, and non-appealable. Information in the Contest is subject to change without notice. Surfrider makes no representations that the materials or information in this Contest are appropriate or available for use in other countries, states, or markets aside from the United States markets where Surfrider presently operates. Surfrider reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest, at any time prior to the determination of the Winner of the Contest. Reasons may include, but are not limited to, the occurrence of fraud, technical failures, or any other factor beyond the reasonable control of Surfrider, which may impair the integrity of the Contest, as determined by Surfrider in its sole discretion. Surfrider will make a reasonable effort to give notice of such changes to the Contest.
- Caution: Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Surfrider reserves the right to disqualify the participant and seek damages from any such participant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Nothing contained in the Contest should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademark displayed in the Contest, or any license or right to use any other trademark owned by any third party. In the event that anyone misuses any Trademark in violation of these Terms and Conditions, Surfrider will enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law, including the seeking of criminal prosecution.
- Unauthorized use of the information, materials or the Contest itself is strictly prohibited and is a violation of the rights of Surfrider and/or third parties, including without limitation, under the copyright laws, trademark laws, and the laws of privacy and publicity. Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as Contestant still maintains the right to grant us a license. Contestant must be able to disclose when and where the photo appeared previously to current Contest.. If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to Surfrider Foundation upon request.
- Surfrider makes no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, correctness, reliability or otherwise with respect to information made available concerning the Contest, and assumes no liability or responsibility for any omissions or errors (including without limitation typographical errors and technical errors) in the context of the Contest.
- Surfrider Foundation Maui maintains and operates this Contest from a volunteers residents in the state of Hawaii, in the United States. These Terms and Conditions are governed and interpreted under the laws of the state of Hawaii, United States of America. If any portion of these terms and conditions is deemed unlawful, void or unenforceable, then that part shall be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
- These Terms and Conditions set forth the entire understanding and agreement between the Contestant, Surfrider, and all other parties with respect to the Contest. Contestant acknowledges that any other agreement between Surfrider, with respect to the Contest are superseded and of no force or effect.